Friday, March 2, 2012

FRIDAY FIRSTS with author Calisa Rhose

The First Five Sentences of... HOME

Everything looks the same, even after three years.

The thought dragged through Sam Callahan’s mind like a stick through thick mud as he meandered along Center Street in front of the Five and-Dime. Across the street was the Mercantile and, next to it, the Cold-and-Ready Soda Shop bursting with teens filling up on ice cream and soda. He remembered when he’d been one of those kids. Popular, full of life, with high hopes. The drugstore was still between the antique store and Henderson’s Hardware.

Genre: Vintage Historical Romance
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press




Available Now!

*  *  *  *  * 

FUN FIRST FACTS ABOUT CALISA
1. What’s the first thing you notice on an attractive member of the opposite sex?
Hair, or the lack of if that’s his ‘style,’ or his eyes. Usually the eyes. But ultimately my gaze will generally take flight and soak in those biceps. I’m a sucker for muscular arms. Not overly muscled to the point of grotesque though, oh no.

2. If you had a free afternoon, what’s the first thing you’d do?
That’s a hard one because I’m pretty much tied down caring for FIL these days. I’m afraid I’d be like a wired kid in a candy store trying to do too many things at once until I end up napping like a baby from exhaustion. LOL. What I’d like to do after all that is take in a matinee. I haven’t done that in ages.

3. If you could live your life over again, what’s the first thing you’d do differently or change?
That one’s easy. I’d spend hours just talking with my parents and gramma about family and my heritage and stuff like that that I didn’t think to ask about before they passed away, but is now too late to do.

More about Calisa: Small-town country girl Calisa Rhose lives in a semi-remote area of Oklahoma with her husband, five dogs, one cat and one horse. All of her three daughters and their families live within throwing distance. She’s a member of RWA and the local chapter OKRWA. She intends to nurture and continue to grow as an author with the help of her family and supporters.

You can find Calisa on the web on her website/blog, Facebook (Calisa Rhose) and Twitter (@Calisa_Rhose)

14 comments:

  1. Hi Becca. I'm so thrilled to be here today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun format. It's amazing how effective just a few sentences can be for drawing someone in. These words sucked me in and made me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved writing this scene, Ally. It was very intense. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  3. Wished I'd done the same. My grandmother was full of stories, and now I only have pieces of stories. I take myself to Sunday afternoon matinees all the time. That way I don't have to share my popcorn! As usual, great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joelene, great seeing you! I wish every day I could have a day back with the three of them. I haven't been to a matinee in at least eight years I don't think. I envy you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Calisa,

    Enjoyable blog post. Nice to get a glimpse of some 'fun facts' about you. Congratulations on HOME, wishing you tons of success.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alice. I'm happy you were able to post a comment! lol I'm glad you liked the post. Thanks for the congrats.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Calisa and Rebecca. I'm with you on the muscular arms preference, Calisa, and sadly also on wishing I'd probed more deeply about my parents' lives before they passed on. Lovely post. It gave so much important information in such a nice succinct way. Thanks to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Darcy. It's sad to have regrets, but it has given me the ability to pay more attention to things like that I think.

      Delete
  7. Hi, Calisa. Ditto on the asking our parents things, but I'd also make sure I wrote everything down right away. It's too easy to 'sort of' remember later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both Nancy. I have the worst memory! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. I'm with you Calisa...I'd love to be able to sit down with my grandparents and parents again and ask some questions I thought I had the time to ask.

    Again, another example of the sisterhood :) lol

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those who have one or more parents/grand parents... TALK to them now, before it's too late.

      Sisters! How was that milk dud? ;)

      Delete
  9. Calisa, thanks so much for coming on here today. :) I'm with you on the biceps. Way back when I was in the dating scene, I had two rules for guys I'd date: I wouldn't date a guy with smaller biceps than mine, or bigger boobs than mine. LOL

    :)Becky

    ReplyDelete